Poached Salmon Salad With Beets
- 1 (1-pound) salmon fillet, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 bunches watercress, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
- 3 beets, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. Place fillet in a large skillet, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add 1/4 cup rice vinegar and water to reach halfway up fillet. Simmer, covered, 12–15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Transfer to a plate, and refrigerate 20 minutes or until cool. Flake fish into bite-size pieces with a fork.
2. Stir together the sour cream, the horseradish, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add the watercress, and toss to coat.
3. Divide the watercress evenly among 4 bowls, and top each serving with beets and fish. Sprinkle with chopped dill.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes; Cool: 20 minutes. Beets are delicious raw, but they should be sliced very thinly. The easiest way to do this is to use a Japanese mandoline. If you don't have one, you can also slice them with a vegetable peeler, or try grating beets on a box grater.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 salad)
|Calories per serving:||247|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||29g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||8g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||82mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||437mg|
|Calcium per serving:||130mg|