Pan-seared Scallops with Summer Succotash
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 7 ears) or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (8-ounce) bag frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon or basil, plus sprigs for garnish
1. Rinse scallops, and pat dry. Pull muscle from side of scallops, and discard. Season with pepper, to taste.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat. Cook scallops, turning once, 4 minutes (depending on size of scallops) or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
3. Lower heat to medium; add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Cook bell pepper, shallot, and garlic, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until slightly softened.
4. Stir in the corn and edamame, and cook, stirring occasionally, an additional 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Add the cider vinegar, and cook, stirring constantly, until completely evaporated, about 1 minute. Pour in the buttermilk; cook, stirring, until reduced in half. Stir in chopped tarragon, and spoon vegetables into 4 bowls. Top evenly with scallops; serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 3 scallops and 1/4 of succotash)
|Calories per serving:||408|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||40g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||46g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||57mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||316mg|
|Calcium per serving:||110mg|