Skinny Meatballs With Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 bell peppers (1 red and 1 yellow), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 (26-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (25-ounce) jar reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 pound chicken sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup dried whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Hot cooked whole-wheat spaghetti (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. For sauce, heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers, and cook 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more.
2. Add ripe tomato and remaining 7 sauce ingredients (through crushed pepper); stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cover and cook 20 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. For meatballs, stir together meats, egg whites, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl until just combined. (Don't overwork.) Using slightly wet hands, form 1-ounce (walnut-size) meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from flame, turning, 2–3 minutes or until browned.
5. Add meatballs to sauce; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Divide cooked pasta, sauce, and meatballs among 6 bowls. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups pasta, 4–5 meatballs, and about 1 3/4 cups sauce)
|Calories per serving:||521|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||44g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||76g|
|Fiber per serving:||12g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||51mg|
|Iron per serving:||7mg|
|Sodium per serving:||801mg|
|Calcium per serving:||114mg|