- 4 (4-ounce) minute steaks
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1. Place steaks between 2 double layers of plastic wrap or in a large zip-top bag; pound to 1/4-inch thickness. Brush each steak with Worcestershire sauce, and remove to a plate.
2. Combine flour, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl. Combine egg whites and 1/2 cup milk in a separate bowl; whisk lightly. Dip 1 steak in egg mixture, shake off excess liquid, then dip twice on each side in flour mixture; repeat with remaining steaks. Reserve 1 tablespoon seasoned flour.
3. Place 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 2 floured steaks; cook 2–3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove steaks from pan; cover meat lightly with foil to keep warm. Add additional 2 teaspoons oil; cook remaining steaks.
4. To make gravy, add beef broth to skillet in which steaks were cooked. Whisk reserved flour into pan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 1–2 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Slowly add remaining 1/4 cup milk, remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and hot sauce; whisk 1–2 minutes more or until thickened. (Strain to remove brown bits from gravy, if desired.) Spoon 2 tablespoons gravy over each steak; serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: For this healthy version of chicken-fried steak, coat the steaks lightly in a whole wheat flour mixture and pan-fry in a small amount of oil and then top with a low-fat gravy.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak and 2 tablespoons gravy)
|Calories per serving:||223|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||21g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||7g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||51mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||188mg|
|Calcium per serving:||37mg|