Hawaiian Turkey Burgers With Pineapple-Papaya Sauce
- Pineapple-Papaya Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons fresh papaya, finely diced
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 thin slices fresh pineapple (optional)
- 4 whole-grain hamburger rolls, toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 thinly sliced red onion (optional)
1. For sauce, combine all ingredients in saucepan. Cook, stirring over moderate heat until sauce boils; simmer 10 minutes.
2. Preheat grill.
3. For burgers, mix ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion, cayenne, sugar, and 1/3 cup sauce in a bowl until just combined. Form into 4 (1-inch) patties.
4. Brush burgers with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat, turning once, about 6 minutes per side. Baste with sauce, and grill 2 minutes more; transfer to plate. If desired, grill pineapple slices 2 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
5. Place burgers on rolls, and spoon on remaining Pineapple-Papaya Sauce. Top with pineapple slice (if desired), lettuce, tomato, and onion slices (if desired).
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: A simple, four-ingredient sauce elevates this burger from pretty good to perfect. After eating this burger, you'll dream of luaus.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger and 1/4 cup sauce)
|Calories per serving:||429|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||27g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||59g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||65mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||593mg|
|Calcium per serving:||82mg|