Flank Steak With Mashed Potatoes
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 pound baking potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound fresh green beans
1. Place red onion in a bowl of ice water; let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Return to bowl, add the lemon juice and sugar; set aside.
2. In small bowl combine rosemary, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; rub mixture and 1 teaspoon oil into steak. (Let stand while potatoes cook.) Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Place a mesh colander or steamer over pan; add green beans, and cover. Cook 5 minutes.
3. Remove colander, and transfer beans to a plate to keep warm. Continue cooking potatoes until soft when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes total. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking water. Return potatoes to pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 cup cooking water; mash the potatoes, adding more reserved water, if necessary.
4. Meanwhile, heat broiler with rack 4 inches from heat; broil flank steak to medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Let rest 5 minutes; slice across grain into 1/8-inch slices. Arrange on a dinner plate; serve with potatoes, pickled onion, and green beans.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup potatoes, 6 slices beef, 4 ounces beans, and 2 tablespoons onions)
|Calories per serving:||323|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||33g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||36mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||263mg|
|Calcium per serving:||78mg|