Lighter Penne à la Vodka
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bottled marinara sauce, preferably no-sugar-added
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk or plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound whole-grain penne
- 1/4 cup vodka (inexpensive)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt when simmering.
2. Warm marinara in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add milk, stirring until combined. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat; simmer until sauce reduces slightly. Add crushed red pepper.
3. Add penne to boiling water. Cook until almost done; add vodka to marinara mixture, and raise heat slightly. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
4. In a large bowl, toss pasta with sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano, adding some reserved water to thin sauce, if needed. Garnish with parsley, and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 servings
|Calories per serving:||299|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||11g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||49g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||409mg|
|Calcium per serving:||76mg|