- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons diced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 diced peeled apple
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (12-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 diced peeled pear, for garnish
- 2 teaspoons minced chives, for garnish
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
1. In a 2-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots and onions until softened. Add next 4 ingredients (through apple); sauté until fragrant.
2. Add broth and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Pulse mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add coconut milk, then add salt, to taste.
4. Garnish with diced pear and chives, if desired. Serve with 1 piece of bread.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 45 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||171|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||26g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||445mg|
|Calcium per serving:||52mg|