- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine first 5 ingredients; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
2. Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients with cranberries; stir just until moist.
3. On lightly floured surface, knead dough with floured hands 5 or 6 times; pat into 7-inch round. Cut into 6 wedges; transfer wedges to parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Brush tops with egg white, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire rack 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 scone)
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||266|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||50g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||46mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||319mg|
|Calcium per serving:||108mg|