Rustic Apple Galette
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons trans fatâfree vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 3 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
1. For crust: Combine first 4 ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add apple juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing until dough is moist and begins to stick together. Cover in plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400Â°.
3. For filling: Toss apples with lemon juice. Whisk together next 4 ingredients; pour over apples, tossing until well-combined.
4. Unwrap dough; place on parchment paper. Roll into a 15-inch circle. Place dough and parchment on rimmed baking sheet; arrange apples in center, leaving 2-inch border. Fold edges in; press gently to seal. Dot apples with butter.
5. Whisk egg white and water. Brush dough with egg wash; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Loosely cover with foil; bake 25â30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until tender and golden.
6. Let stand 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges; serve.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
Prep: 10 minutes; Bake: 35 minutes; Cool: 20 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||343|
|Fat per serving:||11g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||58g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||160mg|
|Calcium per serving:||30mg|