Cornbread, Sausage, and Herb Stuffing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh mild Italian chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. For cornbread: Combine first 4 ingredients; make well in center. Combine milk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into 8-inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan; cool.
3. Reduce oven to 375°. Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes, and place on baking sheet in even layer. Bake 12–15 minutes or until golden. Let cool.
4. For stuffing: Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, crumbling, 8 minutes or until browned. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 4 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add celery, and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool about 20 minutes or until room temperature.
5. Combine cornbread and sausage mixture. Add broth and eggs; stir just until moistened. Spoon into 2-inch deep, 7- x 11-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered with foil, 28 min-utes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes until top is crisp and golden.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time: This lightened version of traditional cornbread dressing uses either chicken or turkey sausage and fat-free, reduced sodium broth, and stone-ground cornmeal.
- Yield: Makes 10 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
|Calories per serving:||237|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||92mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||497mg|
|Calcium per serving:||100mg|