Light French Onion Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large thinly sliced Spanish onions
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4â8 (3/4-inch) slices French baguette
- 4 ounces GruyÃ¨re cheese, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400Â°. Heat butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Uncover; add sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until onions are golden. Add flour, and reduce heat to medium-low; cook 1â2 minutes. Add sherry, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1â2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Transfer to a saucepan. Add stock and pepper. Boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add soy sauce.
2. Place bread slices on a baking sheet; bake 7 minutes per side or until golden.
3. Heat broiler. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with 1â2 bread slices and 2 slices GruyÃ¨re. Broil 1â2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups soup and 2 toasts)
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||307|
|Fat per serving:||18g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||18g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||39mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||392mg|
|Calcium per serving:||331mg|