Cioppino With Garlic Toasts
- 4-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced fennel bulb
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 18 littleneck clams, well-scrubbed
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless halibut fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 12 medium sea scallops
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic, thyme, and red pepper; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add wine, cook on high 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add tomatoes with juices, clam juice, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 300°. Raise heat on stove to medium; add clams. Cover; cook 5–8 minutes or until shells are just opened. Remove clams (discard unopened shells). Set aside; keep warm. Lower heat to simmer. Season halibut with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add to pot with basil. Cover; cook 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and stir in shrimp and scallops; cover. Let sit 6–8 minutes or until shrimp and scallops are just cooked. Return clams to pot; cover.
3. Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 1–2 tablespoons oil; bake 12–15 minutes or until golden. Rub smashed garlic onto each slice.
4. Ladle soup into 6 bowls; sprinkle with parsley.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 35 minutes; Stand: 8 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 2 cups soup and 2 slices toast)
|Calories per serving:||393|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||39g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||82mg|
|Iron per serving:||12mg|
|Sodium per serving:||593mg|
|Calcium per serving:||170mg|