Healthy Veggie Quiche
- 1 store-bought frozen pastry shell, such as Wholly Wholesome brand
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) package prewashed fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) package assorted mushrooms
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan (about 3 ounces), divided
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake pastry shell for 10–12 minutes or until browned. Remove shell from oven, and set aside. Leave oven on.
2. Heat 1 1/4 teaspoons oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet; add shallots. Add spinach, and cook 2–3 minutes or until wilted. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Transfer to a plate; set aside
3. Using the same pan, heat remaining oil, and cook mushrooms about 6 minutes or until browned on both sides. Remove from heat. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Sprinkle 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese over bottom of pastry crust. Top with spinach and mushrooms.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together soy milk with egg and egg whites. Pour into shell. Top with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan, and bake for 45–50 minutes or until top is firm and golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Quiche is an easy, delicious meal for any time of day. It comes together in just five minutes and bakes for an hour, leaving you time to prep a quick salad or read the next chapter of your book.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1/6 of quiche)
|Calories per serving:||173|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||13g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||215mg|
|Calcium per serving:||70mg|