Grilled Sicilian Vegetable Salad with Spicy Gruyère Toast
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb mixture
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sliced eggplant
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Gruyère toast
- 1/2 pound baked ciabatta loaf
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Combine first 4 ingredients (through vinegar) in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Place the vegetables (eggplant through red onion) in an even layer on a large baking pan. Brush vegetables on both sides with marinade; sprinkle with sea salt, then place on prepared grill.
3. Grill for 5–7 minutes or until lightly browned, brushing with marinade, as needed. Turn vegetables occasionally to brown all sides; when cooked, remove from heat and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
4. Place bread slices on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake for 4–6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven, and rub bread with garlic cloves. Set aside.
5. Combine cheeses, parsley, cayenne, and mustard in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly over toast. Return toast to oven, and bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
6. Divide greens among 4 plates. Top with grilled vegetables, and serve with 1 Gruyère toast.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup grilled vegetables, 1 cup mixed greens, and 1 toast)
|Calories per serving:||343|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||10g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||13g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||36g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||17mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||400mg|
|Calcium per serving:||244mg|