Penne With Chicken and Preserved Lemon
- 1/2 pound uncooked whole-wheat penne
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups skinless, boneless, shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 preserved lemon, rinsed, pulp removed, and rind thinly sliced or 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Parmesan cheese (for shaving)
1. Cook penne according to package directions. Add broccoli rabe to pasta during the last 2 minutes of cooking. When penne is al dente and broccoli rabe is tender but still bright green, drain, reserving 1/3 cup pasta water; set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook 1 1/2–2 minutes or until fragrant but not browned. Add the chicken and reserved pasta water, and cook 1 minute or until heated through. Add preserved lemon rind (or lemon zest) and salt; remove from heat.
3. Toss chicken mixture with cooked pasta and broccoli rabe and grated fresh Parmesan; divide evenly among 4 bowls. Use a wide peeler to shave 12 (2-inch-long) strips of Parmesan. Place 3 shavings over each portion; serve immediately.
This penne with chicken recipe will become your go-to dish on pasta night. Whole wheat pasta, broccoli rabe, and fresh lemon pump up the health factor.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||424|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||35g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||47g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||65mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||386mg|
|Calcium per serving:||141mg|