Italian Meatball Sandwich
- 6 (2-ounce) whole wheat submarine loaves
- 1 pound ground round
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cut an oval piece out of top of each loaf. Reserve oval pieces for another use.
Combine meat and next 5 ingredients. Shape into 36 (1-inch) balls. Cook meatballs in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from heat, and pat dry.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Return meatballs to pan; add pasta sauce. Cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Place loaves on a baking sheet; top each with 6 meatballs. Spoon sauce evenly over meatballs. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
|Calories per serving:||269|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||0.0%|
|Fat per serving:||7.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||25.8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||23.4g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||60mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||621mg|
|Calcium per serving:||0.0mg|