Asparagus-Parmesan Pita Rounds
- 2 cups (2-inch) sliced asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons preshredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven 450°.
Steam asparagus, covered, 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
Combine oil and garlic. Brush over pitas. Arrange tomato slices and asparagus on pitas. Sprinkle with basil, pepper, and salt. Top evenly with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 450º for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Most any cheese will work in this recipe. Blue cheese and mozzarella are especially good options.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pita)
|Calories per serving:||245|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||20%|
|Fat per serving:||5.4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Protein per serving:||10.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||3.5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.7mg|
|Sodium per serving:||601mg|
|Calcium per serving:||177mg|
Good to Know
These individual pizzas are topped with a tasty duo of fresh asparagus spears and sliced plum tomatoes, which are both full of vitamins and heart-healthy antioxidants. Using a small amount of richly flavored Parmesan keeps saturated fat to a minimum—or try adding your own special touch with other bold cheeses such as blue or feta. Make sure to choose whole-grain pitas for an extra fiber boost.