Spring Celebration Orzo
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo
- 1 pound asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch-long slices (snap off rough ends before slicing)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (about 10)
1. Cook orzo according to package directions. When 3 minutes of cooking time remain, add asparagus. Cook for 1 minute, then add peas and cook for the final 2 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to make 12 curls of Parmesan. Grate remaining cheese and set aside.
3. Combine salt, lemon juice, and olive oil; whisk together. Toss orzo in lemon-juice mixture; stir in grated cheese and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature with Parmesan curls. Garnish with additional basil leaves, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Spring Celebration Orzo is the perfect summer side dish to take to your next gathering. Packed with fresh asparagus, peas, parmesan, and basil, this orzo dish will have your guests asking for more.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||281|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||14g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||36g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||457mg|
|Calcium per serving:||191mg|