Spring Celebration Orzo
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo
- 1 pound asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch-long slices (snap off rough ends before slicing)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (about 10)
1. Cook orzo according to package directions. When 3 minutes of cooking time remain, add asparagus. Cook for 1 minute, then add peas and cook for the final 2 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to make 12 curls of Parmesan. Grate remaining cheese and set aside.
3. Combine salt, lemon juice, and olive oil; whisk together. Toss orzo in lemon-juice mixture; stir in grated cheese and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature with Parmesan curls. Garnish with additional basil leaves, if desired.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||281|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||14g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||36g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||457mg|
|Calcium per serving:||191mg|