Butternut Squash Risotto
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 7 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or pecorino Romano cheese
Step 1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the squash. Cook until tender, 5–7 minutes. Add sea salt, pepper, and sage. Set aside until ready to finish the risotto. Bring 5 cups of broth to boil in a saucepan; reduce to a simmer. Save remaining 2 cups.
Step 2. Heat 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil in a heavy 4–5 quart sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté for about 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add rice to mixture and stir until all grains are coated.
Step 3. Using a ladle, start adding simmering broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously. Allow each addition to be fully absorbed before adding more. This will take about 20–25 minutes. The rice will be slightly al dente. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and place away from direct heat until ready to finish.
Step 4. About 5 minutes before serving, bring remaining 2 cups broth to a simmer. Warm squash on the stove. Heat rice mixture over medium heat. Immediately start adding simmering broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until soft and fairly loose. Most of the broth should have evaporated, but it shouldn't be dry (you may not need all 2 cups). The rice should be soft, not mushy. If too dry, add a bit more hot broth. Stir in squash; taste for seasoning. Serve in shallow bowls. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano on top. Garnish with more sage, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Give a traditional risotto recipe added flavor by stirring cubed butternut squash into the rice mixture.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||407|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||15g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||63g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||8mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||124mg|
|Calcium per serving:||92mg|