Smoky Chipotle Chili
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 pound chuck steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
1. Wash beans thoroughly, soak overnight, and drain.
2. Place beans in slow cooker. Add water and next 7 ingredients.
3. Cook on LOW for 6 hours, till beans are tender.
4. Brown the meat well in a frying pan for 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Then add the steak, peppers, corn, tomatoes, and salt to the beans, and cook an additional 30 minutes. If desired, add more chipotle chili powder for more heat.
5. Garnish with low-fat sour cream, if desired, and the fresh chopped cilantro.
Prep: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking; Cook: 6 1/2 hours.
- Yield: Makes 7 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||349|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||23g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||46g|
|Fiber per serving:||14g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||29mg|
|Iron per serving:||5mg|
|Sodium per serving:||296mg|
|Calcium per serving:||118mg|