Spicy Hot Chocolate
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3.5 ounces Ibarra Mexican chocolate
- 2.6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Place squash and 1/2 cup of milk in blender; process until smooth.
2. Combine remaining milk and ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Cook over simmering water until chocolate is melted and creamy, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; add squash, stirring until smooth.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes. This is a delicious way to end any meal or just warm up on a cold night. Rancho La Puerta's Chef Jesús González uses cooked butternut squash (make sure it's very well cooked) to lighten this hot chocolate. Cooked sweet potato works well, too.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 6 ounces)
|Calories per serving:||182|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||48mg|
|Calcium per serving:||142mg|