Chicken Soft Tacos with Black Eyed Peas
- 1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 10 ounce skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 10 cup shredded romaine lettuce (about 8 ounces)
- 3 chopped tomatoes (about 14 ounces)
- 1 chopped red onion (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) shredded Cotija cheese or low-fat mozzarella
1. Place peas or beans in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until beans are tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly, retaining cooking liquid.
2. Place bean mixture in a blender; pulse until beans are crushed but not pureed. Stir in cumin and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350°.
4. Place chicken breasts in a heatproof skillet. Drizzle lemon juice and broth over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining oregano. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cool slightly; cut into thin strips or shred by hand.
5. Turn oven down to 200°. Wrap tortillas with foil and place on baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes, or until warm and steamy.
6. Assemble tacos: Spread each tortilla with black eyed pea puree, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and diced onion. Add strips of chicken, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 55 minutes. Make this low-fat, fiber-packed meal from Chef Jesse Frost on busy weeknights or anytime you want an easy, flavorful meal.
- Yield: Makes 5 servings (serving size: 1 taco)
|Calories per serving:||293|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||50g|
|Fiber per serving:||10g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||37mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||331mg|
|Calcium per serving:||120mg|