Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup
- 12 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium chopped red potato
- 8 chopped carrots
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 small chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed apple or pear (optional)
1. Cook broth in a large, heavy saucepan, reducing it by half to concentrate flavors.
2. Heat oil in a medium sauté pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add ginger, potato, and carrot; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add coconut milk and bell pepper; cover and cook 5 more minutes. Add reduced broth to vegetable mixture; season with pepper. Cover and cook until all vegetables are tender.
4. In blender or food processor, puree soup in small batches until smooth. Adjust seasonings.
5. Serve in warm soup bowls. Garnish with apple or pear cubes, if desired.
Variation: Garnish with a combination of scallions and chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This is a spicy-sweet warming soup for a cold day. And since soup helps you feel full and eat less, this recipe is a great start to any meal.
- Yield: Makes 12 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||97|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||14g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||363mg|
|Calcium per serving:||22mg|