Penne With Greens
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1–2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper or serrano chile
- 1 bunch trimmed Swiss chard, chopped (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7–8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, toast pine nuts in a large skillet over medium-high heat, tossing frequently, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove pine nuts and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil and garlic in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt the skillet so the oil pools in 1 corner, hold over heat, and cook garlic until lightly browned. Add the jalapeño pepper and greens, and toss until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add raisins, pine nuts, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add pasta to the skillet and toss another minute or until pasta is fully cooked and has absorbed the liquid from the greens. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with feta. Serve hot.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: A meatless penne pasta recipe is a great way to sneak more greens into your diet but still enjoy a hearty dish that satisfies.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups pasta mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese)
|Calories per serving:||412|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||17g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||56g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||10mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||655mg|
|Calcium per serving:||129mg|