Winter Salad With Grilled Chicken, Citrus, and Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 blood or navel oranges
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 pound romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1. Toast the walnuts in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring them frequently, about 2–3 minutes. Transfer the toasted walnuts to a bowl and set aside.
2. Cut both ends off of each orange. Stand the fruit on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut the skin and white pith off of both oranges, starting from top and working toward the bottom. Holding the orange in your hand over a bowl, cut the sections from the orange between the membranes, letting the sections fall into the bowl. Squeeze the membrane to extract all of the juice; reserve orange juice. Remove the sections to a medium bowl.
3. Place the cucumbers in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the orange juice to a small bowl. Add the vinegar, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine. Transfer the mixture to a small pitcher for serving. Set aside.
5. Lightly spray the chicken breasts with olive oil spray and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Preheat a grill pan on high heat for 1 minute. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board, let them stand 5 minutes, then cut each into slices on the diagonal.
6. Divide the romaine lettuce leaves among 4 plates; top each with equal amounts of the cucumber slices and orange segments. Add 4 ounces chicken, and 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts to each plate. Sprinkle each with chives and serve immediately, with the dressing served on the side.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 13 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 salad with 2 1/2 teaspoons dressing)
|Calories per serving:||244|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Protein per serving:||25g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||63mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||408mg|
|Calcium per serving:||82mg|