Mocha Chocolate à la Paris
- 1 quart 1% low-fat milk
- 6 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup hot, strong-brewed coffee
- Whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Grated bittersweet chocolate, for serving, optional
1. In top part of a double boiler, mix milk, chocolate, cocoa, and sugar. Place over simmering water and cook, stirring occasionally with a whisk, until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and hot, about 20 minutes. (Don't have a double boiler? Heat chocolate mixture in a small saucepan over a larger pan of boiling water.) Stir in coffee and heat through.
2. Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and the chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve while warm.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)