Parisian Hot Chocolate
- 1 quart 1% low-fat milk
- 6 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Grated bittersweet chocolate, for serving, optional
1. In top part of a double boiler, mix milk, chocolate, cocoa, and sugar. Place over simmering water and cook, stirring occasionally with a whisk, until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and hot, about 20 minutes. (Don't have a double boiler? Heat chocolate mixture in a small saucepan over a larger pan of boiling water.) Stir in cream and heat through.
2. Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and the chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve while warm.
Variation: Make Mocha Chocolate à la Paris by substituting hot, strong-brewed coffee for whipping cream.
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes. This European-style hot chocolate is so rich, you only need a little. The kids will go crazy for it.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||244|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||32g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||58mg|
|Calcium per serving:||157mg|