Apple, Sage and Chestnut Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, about 4 celery stalks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, about 1 medium onion
- 4 cups chopped Fuji apples, about 3 apples
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 cup (1-inch) cubes from assorted whole-grain bread, toasted until dry
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked shelled chestnuts
- 2 cups cooked crumbled lean sweet Italian chicken sausage (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350º. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
2. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add apple, parsley, sage, thyme, and rosemary; sauté 3 minutes.
3. Combine apple mixture, bread, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl. Add hot broth; stir well. (Mixture should be moist but not soaked.) Spoon into prepared baking dish. Dot with butter. Cover with foil.
4. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand 15–20 minutes before serving.
Prep: 50 minutes; Cook: 63 minutes; Stand: 15 minutes. Fresh or jarred chestnuts can be used in the stuffing.
- Yield: Makes about 15 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)
|Calories per serving:||217|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||39mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||434mg|
|Calcium per serving:||43mg|