Surprisingly Light Apple Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 7 tablespoons trans fat-free shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 5-6 apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. In a food processor, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and salt. Add butter; pulse until large flakes form. Add shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle cold water over the mixture, about 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing with a fork to mix. Roll the pastry into 2 balls, one slightly larger than the other. Flatten into 3/4-inch thick disks on separate sheets of plastic wrap. Wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
2. Peel, core, and slice apples, enough to make 6 1/2 cups. Add 3 tablespoons sugar, honey, 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Toss well; set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400º. Place larger half of chilled pastry on a 12-inch sheet of plastic wrap. Dust dough with flour and roll into a 12-inch circle with a floured rolling pin, then invert over a 9-inch pie pan. Peel off plastic and gently tuck pastry into pan, letting edge drape over sides. Lightly moisten upper edge of dough with a damp pastry brush. Transfer filling to pie shell. Roll other half of pastry into an 11-inch circle on plastic wrap. Invert over filling, then peel off plastic. Pinch edge to seal; trim excess.
4. Bake till golden. Create decorative edge on crust with fork. Slit top pastry for steam vents. Brush top of pie with milk and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar (try turbinado). Bake for 20 minutes on center oven rack, shielding edges of crust with foil. Reduce heat to 375º; continue baking until the pie is golden brown and juices bubble through at least one vent, another 30 minutes. Insert wooden skewer into pie; there should be no resistance. Transfer pie to cooling rack and cool at least 1 hour before serving.
Prep: 35 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes, plus cooling time.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings
|Calories per serving:||319|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||11mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||146mg|
|Calcium per serving:||8mg|