Quick Saffron Chicken With Couscous
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 4 ounces chopped bottled roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 3/4 pound chicken breast
1. In a 4-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil. Saute shallot, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, thyme, and orange zest over medium-high heat, 3 minutes, until shallot softens.
2. Combine saffron and broth in a bowl; stir until saffron dissolves.
3. Add edamame, stock, and 3/4 teaspoon salt to pot, cover, and bring to a boil. As soon as mixture boils, add couscous, stir, and cover tightly for 5 minutes. Uncover, add the peppers, and fluff the mixture with a fork.
4. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; place on cutting board. Let sit 2 minutes. Cut chicken diagonally across grain. Serve over couscous.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Orange zest and a small amount of saffron elevate this quick chicken and couscouse dish.
- Yield: Makes 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup couscous, about 2 ounces chicken breast)
|Calories per serving:||275|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||22g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||34g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||38mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||331mg|
|Calcium per serving:||38mg|