Ginger-Infused Japanese Rice Pudding
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3 cups plain soy milk
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 10 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Crystallized ginger, for garnish, optional
1. Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugars. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Turn heat to low, stir, and simmer about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Pudding: Place grated ginger in cheesecloth; tie with string. Combine milk, soy milk, and ginger tea bag in a large saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 15–20 minutes. Occasionally skim top. Remove ginger bag.
3. Stir in rice and syrup. Cook on high until mixture boils. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until pudding thickens and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Add heavy cream.
4. Spoon pudding into each of 10 cups, topping each with a strawberry slice and the ginger, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This heavenly rice pudding recipe is a must-serve on cool days or afternoons when you simply must have a special treat.
- Yield: Makes 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
|Calories per serving:||267|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||51g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||12mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||83mg|
|Calcium per serving:||138mg|