Ginger-Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 cups softened vanilla light ice cream
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce chopped (into 1/4-inch pieces) crystallized ginger
- 12 chocolate wafer cookies (such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers) or chocolate graham crackers
Combine 2 cups softened vanilla light ice cream (to soften ice cream, transfer it to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes), 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, and 1 ounce chopped (into 1/4-inch pieces) crystallized ginger in a bowl. Stir together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Arrange 6 chocolate wafer cookies (such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers) or chocolate graham crackers (you'll need 12 total) on a baking sheet, and top each with about 1/4 cup of the ice cream mixture. Top ice cream with another wafer, lightly pressing to form a sandwich. Cover ice cream sandwiches with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer. Freeze sandwiches at least 2 hours before serving.
- Total Time: Skip the cake and pie at your next dinner party and make these must-have ice cream sandwiches. The treat will remind you of childhood, but the ingredients are all grown-up.
- Yield: Makes 6 sandwiches (serving size: 1 sandwich)
|Calories per serving:||169|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||14mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||126mg|
|Calcium per serving:||72mg|
Good to Know
Free your inner child with these ice cream sandwiches. Use fat-free ice cream or frozen yogurt to cut back on fat. You'll also get a boost of calcium and vitamin D.