Corn Chowder With Crab and Cilantro
- 4 bacon slices (uncooked)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced (about 1/4-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large soup pot. Remove bacon from the pot and place it on a paper towel to drain.
2. Add the onion, celery, and fresh thyme to the soup pot; cook 3–4 minutes until softened.
3. Whisk the milk and flour together; add to the pot. Add the chicken broth and potatoes, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Chop the bacon.
5. Add the corn and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the crab, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and bacon; cook 2 minutes until heated through. Serve with crackers or flatbread, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Turn a bowl of corn chowder into dinner with the addition of fresh lump crabmeat and bacon.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: about 1 3/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||276|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||33g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||57mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||511mg|
|Calcium per serving:||179mg|