- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 12 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 8 baked taco shells
- 1/4 cup preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add ground sirloin and cook, stirring often with a spatula, until meat browns, about 10 minutes; drain excess fat. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through.
2. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°. Put taco shells on a baking sheet and heat as per package directions.
3. Combine beans and remaining 1/2 cup salsa in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
4. To serve, arrange taco shells on platter. Place meat on a separate serving dish, and put the beans, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream in bowls. Let diners assemble their own tacos.
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 16 minutes. Stick with baked taco shells instead of fried. You'll avoid trans fat and cut way back on saturated fat and sodium.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
|Calories per serving:||427|
|Fat per serving:||18g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||28g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||42g|
|Fiber per serving:||9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||55mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||844mg|
|Calcium per serving:||221mg|