Thai Beef Salad
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 4 cups trimmed watercress or arugula
1. Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and half the chopped fresh mint in a small bowl. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the dressing onto the flank steak; turn the steak over to coat both sides.
2. Broil steak 7 minutes per side, depending on thickness, until it achieves desired doneness. Let the steak stand 5 minutes; cut on a diagonal into very thin slices.
3. While steak cooks, toss remaining dressing with the carrot, onion, cucumber, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and remaining mint. Add the sliced steak and peanuts. Place 1 cup of the watercress on each of 4 plates. Top each plate with 1/4 steak mixture.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 14 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 of the salad)
|Calories per serving:||291|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||28g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||18g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||43mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||768mg|
|Calcium per serving:||91mg|