Cauliflower and Yukon Gold Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 head (6 cups) cauliflower, cored and broken into florets
- 1 pound (2 cups) cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1/4 cups organic chicken broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and add the shallots. Cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add cauliflower and potatoes to stockpot. Cover with cold water. Turn heat to high, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook at a simmer, uncovered, until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender, 15 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat and drain, reserving a few cups of the hot cooking liquid. Add butter, broth, salt, and pepper. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Add additional liquid as needed to reach desired consistency (fairly thin is recommended). To serve, ladle into warm bowls and drizzle each por-tion with a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste.
This soup, to be served with the Willamette Valley pinot, can be made ahead, reheated, and kept warm in a slow cooker. Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||155|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||17g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||7mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||243mg|
|Calcium per serving:||28mg|