Vegetarian Taco Salad
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican four-cheese blend
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 2 scallions, minced
- 24 multi-grain tortilla chips or baked tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
1. In a small bowl, combine beans, garlic powder, and cumin; set aside.
2. Assemble the salads by dividing the lettuce evenly among 4 shallow bowls or dinner plates. Sprinkle each serving with the bell pepper; then divide the reserved beans among plates. Divide cheese and next 3 ingredients (through scallions) among plates, and garnish each plate with 6 tortilla chips.
3. Prepare the dressing by stirring together the salsa and sour cream in a small bowl. Add a 1/4-cup dollop of dressing to each portion of salad, or pass the dressing separately.
Nutrition punch: fiber, protein, magnesium, iron, folate.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 salad)
Prep: 15 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||334|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||13g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44g|
|Fiber per serving:||14g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||15mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||773mg|
|Calcium per serving:||252mg|