Chopped BLT Salad
- 2 slices multigrain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet; coat bread with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes or until crisp. Let cool 5 minutes. Set croutons aside (they can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container).
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, honey, salt, and pepper; mix well with a small whisk or fork. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon. Add the dressing; toss well. Add croutons; toss again, and transfer to 4 serving plates.
Wine note: Hill of Content Benjamin's Blend ($13), a refreshing Aussie white wine mix of chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, and sémillon, will set off the tangy tomatoes and crisp lettuce, and cut through the salty smokiness of the bacon.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Turn a BLT sandwich into a healthy salad by combining lettuce, tomato, and crumbled bacon and topping with whole-grain bread croutons and a tangy dressing.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||115|
|Fat per serving:||4g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||16g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||5mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||330mg|
|Calcium per serving:||43mg|