Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted chopped cashews
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper, and chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken mixture from pan; set aside.
Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Add 1 cup pineapple chunks to pan; cook 30 seconds. Reserve remaining pineapple for another use. Combine the reserved 1/2 cup juice, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Return chicken mixture to pan. Stir in juice mixture; bring to boil. Cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with cashews.
This Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is faster and healthier than take-out. To speed preparation time, cut the chicken into pieces while you wait for the pan to heat. Serve over long-grain white rice.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:||388|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||27%|
|Fat per serving:||11.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||41.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28.9g|
|Fiber per serving:||2.1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||101mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.7mg|
|Sodium per serving:||858mg|
|Calcium per serving:||58mg|