Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 chicken breast tenders (about 12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 (2-ounce) sandwich rolls
- 1 cup bottled tomato-and-basil pasta sauce, warmed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat broiler. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Mix breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in a separate shallow dish. Dip chicken tenders in egg whites, then dredge in breadcrumbs.
2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Set aside.
3. Slice the rolls in half horizontally. Place rolls on a baking sheet, crust side down, and broil 8 inches from heat until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
4. Spread some pasta sauce over bottom halves of rolls; top with chicken tenders, cutting to fit, if necessary. Top with more sauce; then sprinkle each with shredded provolone and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Place bottom halves under broiler to melt the cheese, about 3 minutes. Top with the remaining roll halves, and serve immediately.
Quick tip: This'll give you 20 percent of your daily calcium.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: These chicken parmesan sandwiches are inspired by the classic Italian dish of the same name and make a hearty lunch or dinner.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
|Calories per serving:||485|
|Fat per serving:||14g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||38g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||55g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||66mg|
|Iron per serving:||16mg|
|Sodium per serving:||942mg|
|Calcium per serving:||227mg|