Gooey Angel Food Cake
- Caramel sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) round angel food cake, cut into 10 slices
- 2 cups chopped fresh fruit (such as berries, mango, and kiwi)
1. To make the caramel sauce: Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium-size, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes, until syrup turns golden. (Be careful not to let it burn.)
2. Remove syrup from heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the butter until melted. Pour milk into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Gradually stir milk into caramel until blended. (Caramel will begin to harden.)
3. Return caramel to mediumhigh heat, and cook, stirring often, 1 minute, until hardened caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and salt (makes about 3/4 cup sauce).
4. Top cake slices with fruit, and drizzle with warm sauce.
Quick tip: Make the caramel sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve warm.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Rich caramel sauce drizzled over angel food cake gets a fresh fruit topping before being served to waiting guests. This dessert recipe is a don't miss!
- Yield: Makes 10 servings (serving size: 1/10 of cake, about 3 tablespoons fruit, and 1 tablespoon sauce)
|Calories per serving:||241|
|Fat per serving:||2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.2g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||55g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||4mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||312mg|
|Calcium per serving:||76mg|