- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach or chopped Swiss chard
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and add to skillet. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove to plate, and keep warm.
2. Add next 4 ingredients (through apple slices) to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Return chicken and juices to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
3. Add spinach to pan, and toss until wilted, about 1 minute. Serve hot.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Andrea's wine pick: The chicken's zesty mustard and apple flavors call for a bone-dry Alsace Riesling. Look for Leon Beyer 2004 (around $17).
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast and 1/2 cup apple-spinach mixture)
|Calories per serving:||202|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||27g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||67mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||238mg|
|Calcium per serving:||46mg|