- 1 whole-wheat baguette, cut into 20 (1-inch-thick) slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place baguette slices on baking sheet, and brush with 1 tablespoon of oil. Bake 10 minutes or until toasted.
2. While the bread is toasting, warm remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add beans, and cook 2 minutes to warm through. Add salt and pepper. Mash about half the beans with a large fork.
3. Add chopped roasted red bell pepper to bean mixture. Allow to warm through, and remove from heat. Top crostini evenly with bean mixture; garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Yield: Makes 20 servings (serving size: 1 slice bread with about 2 1/2 teaspoons bean mixture)
Prep: 7 minutes; Cook: 14 minutes.
|Calories per serving:||103|
|Fat per serving:||1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||215mg|
|Calcium per serving:||19mg|