Penne With Spinach and Feta
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne (or other small shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups pear or cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound) or 1/2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes or until the tomatoes soften and some liquid evaporates. Use a wooden spoon to lightly crush tomatoes. Slowly stir in spinach or arugula; cook, stirring, 2 minutes or until leaves wilt.
3. Drain pasta. In serving bowl, toss pasta with warm tomato-spinach sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This tasty pasta dish cooks up fast and is healthy, thanks to the use of whole-wheat penne, spinach and fresh cherry tomatoes. Don't forget to garnish with crumbled feta cheese for a dinner you won't forget.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||282|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||50g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||11mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||247mg|
|Calcium per serving:||115mg|