Maple-Pecan Sweet Potato Mash
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large sweet potatoes, baked
1. Preheat oven to 300°.
2. Place the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until pecans are fragrant and begin to darken. Remove from oven, and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, orange zest, cinnamon stick, and ground cloves. Bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, and let stand about 5 minutes.
4. Gently scoop out insides of the baked sweet potatoes, and place in a heatproof bowl. Using a potato masher or large fork, mash until there are no lumps left. Heat in microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick from the warmed syrup, and discard. Pour the syrup over the mashed sweet potatoes, and top with the toasted pecans. Serve immediately.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes. This is a fantastic way to use leftover sweet potatoes. Don't have any extras? Bake some sweet potatoes in a 450° oven for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
|Calories per serving:||211|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||35mg|
|Calcium per serving:||61mg|