- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to desired hotness)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound frozen uncooked shrimp
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 coarsely chopped green onions
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Remove from heat, and add the rice noodles, stirring to separate. Soak 5-7 minutes or until tender; then drain the noodles and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
2. Mix fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg and cook quickly, until opaque. Move to side. Add frozen shrimp to skillet, and cook 5-7 minutes or until just cooked through. Drain excess liquid. Add garlic, and stir-fry 1 minute.
4. Add remaining oil and then noodles. Stir-fry noodles quickly until softened, about 2 minutes. Add sauce mixture. Coat the noodles evenly, stirring until heated through. Stir in green onions and bean sprouts, if desired, and cook 2 more minutes. Mound on serving platter, and garnish with peanuts, lime wedges, and cilantro.
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
Andrea's wine pick: A floral, juicy Riesling will tone down the kick of the Pad Thai's red pepper while complementing the sweetness of the shrimp. Try the peachy Leitz Dragonstone Riesling from Germany (about $16).
|Calories per serving:||340|
|Fat per serving:||12g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||18g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||41g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||146mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||853mg|
|Calcium per serving:||56mg|