Blue Cheese-Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (5-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries
1. Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together, and set aside.
2. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; with a meat mallet, pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
3. Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Add chicken to skillet, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is brown and cooked through. Remove from the skillet, and chop into bite-size pieces; keep warm.
4. Toss spinach, blue cheese, and cherries in large salad bowl. Whisk vinaigrette and drizzle over salad. Top salad with chicken, and serve.
Prep: 12 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 5 cups)
Andrea's wine pick: The intensely ripe fruit of a California Zinfandel will stand up to the blue cheese and sweet cherries in the salad. Look for the spicy, figgy Lolonis Redwood Valley Zinfandel that's made with organic grapes (about $18).
|Calories per serving:||244|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||19g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||23g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||45mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||318mg|
|Calcium per serving:||143mg|