Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (7 3/4-ounce) can salsa de chile fresco (such as El Pato)
- 15 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded queso blanco (about 4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 450°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Total Time: Traditionally a Mexican breakfast, black bean and chicken chilaquiles requires only 8 ingredients and can be enjoyed at any time of day. Serve with a mixed green salad topped with diced avocado, tomato wedges, and olives.
- Yield: 6 servings
|Calories per serving:||293|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||15%|
|Fat per serving:||4.9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.2g|
|Protein per serving:||22.9g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||40g|
|Fiber per serving:||5.9g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||46mg|
|Iron per serving:||2.3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||602mg|
|Calcium per serving:||200mg|
Good to Know
Baking this Mexican dish cuts out fat but keeps the flavor. Toss in some brown rice with the beans for a source of complete protein.