- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned (about 1 pound)
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 425°.
Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in a shallow dish; stir well with a whisk. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a separate shallow dish; stir well. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture; dredge in flour mixture.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet; lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: This lightened version of homestyle fried chicken gets its crispy coating from a mixture of flour and cornmeal and then by browning the chicken in a skillet and finishing it off in the oven.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half or 1 drumstick and 1 thigh)
|Calories per serving:||450|
|Caloriesfromfat per serving:||28%|
|Fat per serving:||13.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3.6g|
|Protein per serving:||43.5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||35.3g|
|Fiber per serving:||1.7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||109mg|
|Iron per serving:||3.2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||803mg|
|Calcium per serving:||88mg|